Thursday, November 17, 2016

Character Share: Bec from Echoes

Still putting off that post continuing the Echoes Arcs, in large part because I'm still trying to get a better feel for it.  In the spirit of that, I would like to talk about the character of Bec for a moment -

Bec came about as I was working on a fuller cast for the series, and wanted a foil protagonist for Kelly.  If Kelly is water, Bec is fire, Kelly is cool and collected, Bec is quick-tempered and passionate.

Bec(Rebecca Evelynn Stersh) is an introverted character and somewhat shy(close but still different ideas), in addition to being often stand-off-ish. Some of this nature is likely due to her circumstance upon entering the story.  She has moved to this city after the death of her parents, to live with her aunt and uncle.  Her father was a music producer/lover, and her mother is where she learned her love of dance.  Even before their death, her parents were her closest friends, as she often felt she didn't fit in at her private school.

Bec continues to wear part of her old uniform as she did when she attended the school, it helps her feel a tiny bit like who she was before losing her parents.  She loves to listen to music, and can occasionally be caught dancing, though she hates being watched.

Bec's original character design started as some sort of lycanthrope, which became more of a human/spirit bonded pair, which eventually lost the fuzzy ears and tail.  For a spell I began to consider what it might be like if music was her method, such as drawing is for Kelly.  In the end, I've been going with the idea that she actually has a powerful spirit contained/bound within her spirit, and channels energy that way.  So instead of drawing something, she starts to manifest more of a fiery personality.  Channeling this spirit can be dangerous though, as she loses a bit of her own control as she channels more energy.

This image to the left is an older design for the character, and one that I still really like.  Sometimes I feel a little torn and debate using this design, which is not impossible but rather unlikely; the character of Bec that I have now has become the Bec that I imagine, that I've gotten to know so well.

Part of what I love about Bec is the relationship between her and Kelly.  It begins as an almost unwilling friendship as Kelly just starts acting like her friend much to Bec's chagrin, but slowly Bec comes to appreciate Kelly's aloof and fluid nature.

I did up a page to try and get a feel for the characters and writing a scene and dialogue with a more "everyday" kind of feel, and as lame as it is to admit, I really enjoy it every time I come across the page

Trot On Everypony,
Alturiigo

No comments:

Post a Comment