Monday, December 19, 2016

Pledges and Resolutions

I was in 4-H for a little over 8 years, and I've recited the pledge quite a few times. I don't know that I would say that I didn't believe what I was saying, but recently it really kinda struck me.

I pledge my Head to clearer thinking,
My Heart to greater loyalty,
My Hands to larger service,
And my Health to greater living,
For my club, my community, my country, and my world.

As far as pledges go, I feel like this one keeps it simple and positive. I like that. I was making a pledge to think critically, be true to what I believe in, try to help others, and use my strengths and self to help those around me. Sure that's a re-wording, but that's also how I felt and feel about it, and those are ideas that are important to me.

I bring this up because the approach of the year's end is often a time to think about the next year, the future. Many people make resolutions for the new year, quite similar in concept to a pledge. It had actually been a few days prior to this thought on pledges that I was thinking about making some pledges for the upcoming year. Here's what I have on my white-board right now-


  • Take Myself Seriously
    • Deadlines, Responsibilities, Agency/Capabilities
  • Spend My Attention Productively
    • Focus On Things Important To Me
    • Be Aware Of How I Spend My Time
  • Actively Encourage Others
    • Help Others See Themselves Positively
    • Encourage Positive Perspectives
  • Be The Version Of Myself I'd Like To Be
    • Create, Post, Draw, Create, Create
    • Share More, Share Better
    • SPEAK UP!
I can at least try to be the best version of myself that I can be, for myself, and most of these things really do fall under that. Taking myself seriously has a lot to do with that, being able to believe that I can be the person I want to be. Actually that's really important I think.

Remember this: Take yourself seriously, believe that you can be the person you want to be.

Trot On Everypony,
Alturiigo

No comments:

Post a Comment