Monday, August 13, 2018

A Lesson In Humanity I Learned From MLP:FiM

So real quick, I'm a fan of the series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but that's not the point of the post, just part of it.  The show is generally targeted towards kids, and includes a lot of messages and explorations of friendship and other interpersonal relationships.  There is certainly conflict throughout the series, and most of the conflicts are concluded by means of friendship or understanding, rather than violence or dominance - as you would expect from a show created with children in mind.

I purchased Tales of Equestria, a pen-and-paper roleplaying game set in the land of Equestria, which also discussed a lot of the ideas about stories and conflicts for those telling the stories.  It highlighted the idea that violence or "scuffles" were not a major focus of problem solving, and further reinforced the idea that friendship and understanding should be the main means of conflict resolution.  This idea sat around with me for a while, and eventually there was a moment where it clicked for me as I talked to my nephews and niece about the misbehavior of Silas.

"When people are being bad, it is usually because they are sad about something."  This was how it came out as I tried to work them towards the idea.  Upset is a fair bit more accurate, but I wanted to ensure the three of them understood the idea, not specifically a sentence.  There are situations that motivations are generally irrelevant, but it is widely applicable that negative behavior stems from a negative reaction to something.  Negative behavior is often symptomatic rather than spontaneous, and can be difficult to resolve by simply confronting the behavior.

Starlight Glimmer wasn't replacing cutie marks and trying to reshape all of society because she thought it would be fun, she was attempting to do so because she felt wronged by how society viewed the role cutie marks and many of the negative results thereof.  This motivation didn't justify her actions, but understanding them is what helped Twilight Sparkle resolve the conflict.  She couldn't best Starlight through might and magic, but through reshaping Starlight's perception she was able to bring a stop to the villainy.

Today, we want to build a giant wall out of a misplaced fear that illegal immigrants are stealing jobs.  We believe that others pursuing life liberty and happiness may encroach on our own, and we work hard to dis-empower "Them".  We believe that it is only through might and domination that we will not be dominated ourselves.  While I may disagree with these beliefs and opinions, I have little hope of affecting them if I do not address the root of those beliefs.

From a position of privilege, I will make no headway in changing beliefs by attacking the individuals.  I think most who know me are aware that I am appalled by the current administration and Trump in particular, but I am aware that if I make personal attacks that I won't change anyone's mind.  I work hard to construct better arguments and encourage deeper understanding, much like we are taught by children's media.  Thanks in large part to Fred Rogers, messages of kindness and understanding were taught to many children throughout the years - and I often feel like we perceive them as messages only to children that have no place in our adult "real" world.

My daily life is not encroached upon by discrimination and intolerance, and that is a privilege.  I disagree with violence and aggressive behavior generally, but this is a stance that is most easily taken from a position of privilege, and I believe it is important that I recognize this.  It's why I was able to believe that discrimination was anecdotal, since there are things like OSHA and Equal Opportunity Employment.  It's why I used to consider Affirmative Action as a double-standard rather than trying to understand the incredible disparity in the workforce.  I've tried to catch my own reactions and examine them, and there are times I've been narrow-minded - and that's not something I want to be.  I don't want to be a bigot(because I'd like to think I'm a decent human being), so it's important that I try to consider and understand my beliefs and actions as well.

Trot On Everypony,
Alturiigo

No comments:

Post a Comment