Monday, August 5, 2013

Who is Alturiigo?

As time progresses, this becomes a more interesting question to me.  There was a character a long time ago for a pen-and-paper game I played which I had named Altur.  Much later, as I was beginning to dream up the Echoes story, I wanted to create another pair of characters for the story, who were another human and spirit who were bonded together.  Remembering the name Altur, I had the thought that maybe the spirit might be Iigo.  Maybe the ghost could help him look different, and that could be his... power?

The thought progressed as the character and the story became a little more developed, to the point where Alturiigo looks a lot more like this(->).
This is image is supposed to something of the two in a fully-bonded or merged state, where Altur's dead-pan/apathetic personality gains Iigo's wicked glint and mischievity.  When I was deciding what should be my PSN name, I figured why not use Alturiigo, since it seemed pretty fitting for a screen name.  So there's a backdrop for you.

Like a nickname, a screen-name is in some ways an aspect of who you are.  While you might be showing your full self, you're at least sharing the aspect of your thoughts(unless you solely plagiarize).  Something I think is interesting about this, is that the more I share as Alturiigo(or through them), the more realized they become as a character, even when being cast in different ways.  My best personal reference for this is that as a gamer, I reuse certain characters across various games, despite different settings and stories.  But I still feel a congruence of character for them.

I don't think I(Adam) have become Alturiigo, or that they are some sort of person outside me, but at the same time, the concept of them has become further dettached from the way I perceive myself.  I believe this is because... well, I'm not entirely sure.  Because it helps me think about things a little differently, and try to think about how I might approach it if I weren't me, but was.  So maybe like to say, if I could partition part of my thoughts to be a little more aloof and less biased(which is pretty much impossible to be rid of).

-Adam... mostly

No comments:

Post a Comment