Friday, November 15, 2013

Late Night Philosophy

I was up late the other night, as I often am, so I guess I was awake... early the other morning... anyways and I was playing LOTRO and chatting with a kin-mate while the other guy was afk.  He forgot something and I replied -
"As the Elves say, 'Silly humans, forgetting everything.  Eventually how to live as well.'"
I followed up after his lol to mention how dying was actually sometimes referred to as the Gift of Men, since they didn't have to carry their sorrows and troubles for an eternity, forever being bound to Middle-Earth.  The Silmarillion was a fun to read as a fan of fantasy and history, I recommend it for fans looking for a longer read.

Knowing that we die has shaped human culture more than we can reasonably perceive, even if we could break it down and make a list.  Face it, a million is not something we can really grasp, except as a large quantity, with a scale that allows us to compare and contrast.  In the situation of this, how do you really draw a line so you don't just say everything is based on the fact that we die?

I don't know, and that was more of a rhetorical question.  I was reminded of this conversation a little when I was thinking about cancer.  Cancer sucks, and it makes sense to try to defeat it.  When I think about humans as creatures in an ecosystem, I can't help but feel like we disregard any niche and just power forward.  Maybe that's just how humans are so that's how it should be?  Asking these questions don't really provide a helpful answer, almost ever.

I still think it's good to think things in complex ways,
Trot On Everypony,
Alturiigo

No comments:

Post a Comment