Saturday, May 25, 2013

Persistent Characters

I would like to begin by putting this into the context of the "head canon" of my imagination.

It's not hard for me to look back and say that this concept came strongly from the large number of RPG's I play, creating characters for a multitude of games.  It's common to have a unique play style, in a way a personality created by the medium of video games through the direct relationship to the character via the controller(or keyboard or mouse).  This personality became Sadie, and after playing various AMAZING rpg's with this character, Sadie, she grew into a more realized character concept.  Lynn Moruul was also born of this method, a straight-forward assassin who lets her actions speak, though rarely are they heard.  Even their "Aesthetic Persona"(thank you for a great term Digibrony) began to develop, allowing the characters to transcend genres and mediums more easily.

But as I review my more recent work, I find myself looking even further back.  Certain characters and ideas have floated around in my imagination for upwards of 15+ years, still finding their way in as side characters or inspiration.  Maybe it's my mild pack-rat tendencies, maybe I don't want to let go of my old ideas because I want to believe they might be good, whatever it is, I enjoy that my imagination has a world of its own even on a very broad scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment