Friday, May 24, 2013

Ugh...

Writer's block or maybe more specifically creativity blocks are something I find myself dealing with frequently, and it's possibly due to the fact that the projects I dream up are much larger than my attention will usually hold.  I've been working on a tabletop system using only the ten-sided dice, and three(is it four?) years later I still feel like I have the most daunting work ahead of me.  Then there's Echoes, are story spanning three stages in a characters life set against the setting of a world where there's a spirit world tied to our own.

The d10 System is fun in that I can create short stories that have a place in the setting and help explore it deeper, but in another light that distracts me to a level I suppose.  Another fun-interesting-whatever note is that the d10 System that I've spent so much time developing for the Visceroth Cluster sci-fi setting began as a modern-day zombie tabletop, that I ran with a few players.  More recently I've been revisiting those origins and playing around with the gameplay design, as well as looking further into the NPC's and their development.  And the zombie concepts while not original, added a depth to how I could use them, and I feel like it added new potential for stress and horror in the roleplaying experience.

Every time I see any of my Echoes drawings(which is frequently), I remember how much I enjoyed those characters and the general experiences I saw them going through over the course of the stories.  They were fun to imagine, and some of my favorite doodles are of characters from the series.  One of the major problems I'm having is deciding the medium I'd even think that it would feel best in, as well as what is feasible for me to accomplish.  Echoes is in some ways my own "anime fanfic" if you will, though not specifically of any one.  Something that I've enjoyed in the various animes I've watched is that very commonly they represent a journey(whether an actually trip or a personal discovery), and shows the character's progression as they realize who they are and what their role is to play.  That's not to say I'm some amazing writer who can pull that off. Just that I like that type of story.  Also I enjoy it's capacity as a story-telling medium, and it's a frame of reference that my brain feels comfortable developing in.

There are various other characters and doodles I've worked on, including doodles of myself and friends in a cartoon style I began using... about junior year in high school. So... a while ago.  Anyhoo... that's about all for now

No comments:

Post a Comment