Saturday, May 25, 2013

Thoughts on Crafting Systems in Games

Crafting systems are great tools to help integrate and immerse players into a world or setting, and reward them for taking the time to explore, collect and develop these crafts.  While personally I tend to enjoy this, there are times that it can detract from the experience as well.

While being a useful tool in creating depth, a crafting system that is critical to fundamental gameplay can often slow down the experience and cause player to have to "farm" for items(pretty sure I'm using that correctly).  This, tends to aggravate me, as I would rather just be enjoying the story and my character than hunting down multitudes of the same opponent and hoping for a drop.  I enjoyed the game Dark Cloud for PS2, and wanted to enjoy the sequel just as much.  It even has a neat steam-punk feel to the game and I thought it was neat.  But the game required laborious farming to operate the story-critical and over-zealous Georama system.

Just some thoughts on crafting in games.  Also, d10(and z10 for that matter) include-have the capacity for, a crafting system based on schematics and a list of more generic materials and some rarer materials, and also requires various tools and equipment based on the level of skill required.

No comments:

Post a Comment