Saturday, July 13, 2013

More Thoughts on Character Design

As I've mentioned many times before, I love making characters, and I enjoy the structure games give to thinking about characters.  So I'd like to take a step back and discuss a little about what I think is interesting and fun for me.

Sometimes, I decide to base a character of a loose concept, a minor facet of the character.  I'll use the concept of Blu(The StoneBridge Residents - Messenger's Story) as an example.  I had designed a variety of characters for Residents so far, and was trying to think of a new survivor/colonist.  The concept originated with a sewing skill, and I thought it might be neat if the character sewed well because they made their own cosplay costumes and gear.  I thought maybe she was a young woman who was well-read, and could easily find an answer to a problem in a pile of books, if not just a single one.

This was also fun for me because the idea of a character who can not only sew well, but is also good at making non-conventional clothing, seems like a pretty badass friend/ally to have.  I really enjoy exploring different character concepts, even very basic concepts, and seeing what really makes that character, and what all makes it work.  I especially enjoy taking a character who might traditionally be viewed as a weak character, and trying to discover their strength.  I will say, it's not often that the "weak" truly have no strength.

Trot On Everypony,
Alturiigo

No comments:

Post a Comment