Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why I'm Opposed To Hashtags

I've been known to be a grammar police from time to time, but I'd also like to say that grammar shouldn't be used to shame others.  So I often try to be polite(or semi-polite) when correcting people.  It's also important to note that I'm not always spot on either.

I get hashtags, and they're kind of interesting in that you can tag an idea or concept(or... trend) for a post, so it helps categorize things.  My problem?  It's freakin' cluttery and I don't like how it looks.  I like my language certain ways.

There are times I'm less concerned with capitalization, for example when I'm texting or sometimes im-ing with friends, I may be lax about capital i's and the beginning of sentences being uppercase.  I view this as a modern day trend similar to less formal modes of speech, kind of like how one would address their friends differently than their teachers, or bosses, or something like that.

I love language, and the beauty of its versatility to express ourselves.  But you won't see me using hashtags, and there might be other things I do differently or oppose. As always though, I do my best to understand that it's not my place to tell others how to use language, since language is part science, but most importantly, a form of self-expression.

Trot On Everypony,
Alturiigo

No comments:

Post a Comment