Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Service Industry

I currently work as a bartender, and have worked as a delivery driver for a good length of time on previous time spans.  Both of these jobs/professions share something in common; the concept of tipping.  As I get into this topic, it's mostly focused on the food service industry, though not so as much the "fast-food" industry.

Working in a tip-based position(to say, one which you do not make "minimum wage"), your income is a rather variable amount.  The base income, is not however.  It is often $5 less than the national minimum wage for other professions, and often has a much different model for staffing and scheduling than other business models.  This has benefits, but there are considerable drawbacks as well.

When going out to eat at a restaurant where a tip is considered customary, overhead cost of food production is reduced due to reduced wage.  This is to say that in some ways, the cost of the food includes very little cost towards the service given.  If said service was poor, then it has a low worth, meaning a smaller tip.  This allows the guest to decide the value of the service, instead of paying a flat amount(accounted for by increased cost of food).  An obvious benefit is the encouragement of the wait-staff to give better service.  This is not the case one-hundred percent of the time.

I can personally say that on many occasions, I have given a guest or guests service that they have been pleased with, and seem to enjoy the interaction I shared with them.  They will often return, being familiar with the experience and being pleased with it.  However, it is often enough that I receive no tip for the service I have provided.  I do my best not to personally condemn people for not doing so, but it is frustrating none-the-less.  Some people may not know that the person receives less than minimum wage, not to mention the job market and economy.

Here's the thing.  People working in the service industry can often be faulted for not being as friendly as they should.  I'm not trying to say that we in the industry are without blame.  That being said, I do my best to be respectful as I deal with others, and from what I've experienced this often creates a respectful interaction.  This still requires both parties to participate in respect and understanding.

So this is what I'm getting at:  Please remember that the human being taking your order(whether at a table or on the phone) wants to be treated with respect, just like you do.  The standard tip rate is considered respectful, because it pushes the wage for the person to THE NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE(what we seem to have decided as a country is the LOWEST amount a person should work for).  I can't disagree with the ability to tip less for poor service, that only seems reasonable if good service can be rewarded in the complimentary fashion.

I'll wrap this up now.  People... please think about the messages your actions and behaviors say to the people you interact with.  Anyone can be the first person to give respect, don't be afraid to try.  We're all human - remember that.

Love and Tolerate Everypony,
Alturiigo

No comments:

Post a Comment